I attended a great presentation by Chris Savage. Savage is a well-respected name in advertising, former CEO of STW Communications and former CEO of Ogilvy PR Australia. He also writes a fantastic blog called Wrestling Possums, providing inspirational and creative food for thought.
The topic of his presentation was career progression and how to stay relevant, needed and wanted throughout your long career. He provided some reassuring takeaways that I’d like to share with you.
- Conditions are always perfect – for change or improving yourself. It’s always the ‘right’ time to make a change.
- Feedback is the food of champions.
- Become brilliant at solving problems – always follow that approach.
- Work harder than everybody else.
- Push yourself to the front – put your hand up, be noticed.
- Work on your likeability – ask yourself if people want to work with you?
Marketing or whichever role you’re in can feel like an all-consuming gig, but like Savage, I enjoy and encourage constant learning, which includes evaluating yourself. Personally I welcome negative feedback and seize the opportunity to develop capabilities that I might not have recognised myself.
Learn and be inspired – every day.
Consider your own personal brand. What problems can you solve? What do other's think of you? What do you want to do? What steps do you need to take to get you there?